Yesterday was my golden birthday. I turned 28 years old on April 28th. Leading up to my birthday, I had all sorts of ideas about having a big celebration or party or taking a trip to mark the Golden Birthday. But all of the work and life transitions I've been dealing with lately made me forget about the Golden Birthday plans. All of a sudden, the day was upon me with no grand celebrations, so I decided to celebrate in a slightly different way.
Some people have a bucket list or a 30 before 30 list. I decided to do 28 things on my 28th birthday. I started at 12AM on 4/28 and finished the last item at 12:05AM on 4/29. Below are the 28 ways I celebrated my Golden Birthday...
28 on the 28th
- Do 28 pushups (done @12:04AM)
- Read Psalm 28 (done @12:08AM) I thought verses 8-9 were especially birthday appropriate, "The Lord is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed; Oh save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever."
- Add 28 movies to my Netflix queue (done @12:38AM) This was hard since I already had over 200 movies in my queue that I want to watch. I added the following: Rabbit Hole, Love and Other Drugs, Hereafter, , 30 for 30 the Two Escobars, Note by Note: The Making of Steinway, Pressure Cooker, The Way Back, Catfish, Conviction,Extraordinary Measures, Get Low, Death at a Funeral, Wild Target,Pirate Radio,Shrek Forever After ,Adam, The Brothers Bloom, Election, Pray the Devil Back to Hell, Crazy Heart, Shooter, Public Enemies, Eagle Eye, The Cove,Sophie Scholl: The Final Days, My Flesh and Blood, Paradise Now
- Close my eyes and take 28 deep breaths (done @8:52AM) I should start off every morning with these deep breaths.
- Donate $28 to my alma matter (done @10:34AM) I think this is one of my favorites from the list. The school is always calling me for donations. I'm pretty sure it's towards the smaller end of gifts on the giving spectrum.
- Follow 28 new people on Twitter (done @10:28AM) I followed @TwoHourBlogger, @BlogTyrant, @43Folders, @TylerTervooren, @ChartPornOrg, @digitalPS, @fakescience, @freelancefolder, @freelancesw, @joythebaker, @jenny_blake, @macheesmo, @notmartha, @theantiresume, @oatmeal, @tommeitner, @designsponge, @jdbentley, @chriscducker, @livecollarfree, @askgerber, @TanyaGeisler, @womanzworld, @thepioneerwoman, @dannymasterson, @freelancewhales, @someecards, @photography
- Spend $28 on Amazon (done @11:27AM) This was harder than you might think. I didn't want to buy things I didn't want, just so they totaled $28. I also needed to make sure I qualified for the free shipping. I bought two books ( The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and The Christian Mind: How should a Christian think?) and a $0.69 MP3 (Dog Days Are Over) for a total of $28.15
- Watch 28 YouTube videos (done @12:40PM) These were somewhat random...I just clicked around 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
- Drink 28 ounces of liquid (done @2:33PM) I thought I would drink 28 ounces of my favorite liquid, but it didn't seem realistic to drink that much wine or coffee. I drank gatorade, instead. It isn't one of my favorite liquids, but it's pretty amazing when biking.
- Bike 28 miles (done @3:15PM) The weather was perfect for biking--70 degrees and sunny with no wind. After biking 50 miles last week into 50 mph winds, this ride felt easy. I may have swallowed 28 bugs along the way (picked a few out of my teeth), but that's unconfirmed.
- Eat 28 raisins (done @3:20PM) I originally planned to eat jellybeans, but I didn't have any and raisins sounded better after my bike ride.
- Play the piano for 28 minutes (done @4:01PM)
- Take a 28 minute shower ( done @4:38PM) 28 minutes in the shower is a LONG time. The water wasn't cold at the end, but it wasn't hot anymore, either.
- Take a 28 minute nap (done @5:07PM)
- Bookmark 28 recipes to try (done @6:05PM) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
- Like 28 websites found from StumbleUpon (done @6:29PM) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
- Take 28 photographs (done @9:25PM) See them on Flickr
- Do 28 situps (done @9:28PM) Originally, this item was "drink a $28 bottle of wine". I intended to buy a bottle or drink one at dinner, but we ended up buying a more expensive bottle and who am I to refuse a better bottle of wine?
- Read 28 blog posts (done @9:53PM, but done throughout the day) Bicycle Wine Rack, Typographic Maps, Beautiful Business Cards, 6 Blog Errors, Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop, Say Hi To Dishie, Make Dessert Healthier, Cornmeal Honey Bread, Toaster: The Next Generation, Personal Projects, 2 Blogging Pitfalls, Is your online business healthy?, Beat the Summer Slump, Creating a Dream Team to Guide Your Business, 9 Surprising Uses for Beer, Location Independent Lifestyle, 7 Secrets to Making Your Email Inbox Your New Best Friend, The Starving Artist Solves the Problem, Profiles of Risk, 10 Tips on How to Use Evernote, Tests Who Think They Know Me, How Do You Form a Nonprofit, Facebook hires infographic ninjas, 65 Small Business Mobile Applications, School and Cookies , Indie Rockers Before They Were Famous, 12 May Albums Worth Checking Out, Watch Meatloaf and Jimmy Fallow Sing About Bagel Bites
- Write 28 comments on Flickr photographs that I like (done @10:14PM) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
- Write 28 goals and hopes I have for the 28th year of my life (done @10:23PM)
- List 28 things I'm thankful for (done @10:31PM)
- Brainstorm 28 new blog topics (done @10:37PM)
- Listen to the top 28 songs by # of times played in iTunes (done @10:38PM, but worked on throughout the day) Table for Two by Caedmon's Call, I Will Show You Love by Kendall Payne, Thy Mercy, My God by Sandra McCracken, Jesus What A Friend for Sinners by Matthew Smith, Ten Thousand Angels by Caedmon's Call, Here's To Hindsight by Tara Leigh Cobble, Gabriel and the Vagabond by Foy Vance, Breakable by Ingrid Michaelson, Amazing Grace by Sufjan Stevens, Exodus by Bethany Dillon, What Can I Say by Brandi Carlisle, Watch Your Mouth by Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken, The Great Escape by Patrick Watson, Life in Disguise by The Slip, Die Die Die by The Avett Brothers, Pretty Girl from San Diego by The Avett Brothers, The World Spins Madly On by the Weepies, In Christ Alone by the Newsboys, It Don't Matter To The Sun by Rosie Thomas, Will You Return by The Avett Brothers, Paranoa in B Major by The Avett Brothers, Living of Love by The Avett Brothers, Throw it All Away by Brandi Carlisle, Love Song for A Savior by Jars of Clay, Falling Awake by Gary Jules, They by Jem, A Cold Wind Will Blow Through You by Bill Ricchini, Crashing Down by Mat Kearney
- Knit 28 minutes of my latest knitting project (done @11:28PM) Initially, I planned to knit 28 rows. However, I neglected to remember that one row of my current project takes about 10 minutes to knit. I just didn't have time for that many rows.
- Watch at least 28 minutes of TV (done @11:36PM) I watched last night's episode of Bones.
- Read 28 pages of my latest book club read (done @11:58PM)
- Listen to Mozart's 28th Symphony (done @12:05AM on 4/29) I listened to all 4 movements via YouTube while completing #27 above
Thanks to my friends and family who indulged me in my quest to celebrate 28! Sarah, who emailed me 28 things she appreciates about me. Carmel, who g-chatted me HAPPY BIRTHDAY 28 times. Marla and Ruth who texted and called to see how my quest was going during the day. Liz, who sent a cute card all the way from Romania. My brother, who called to wish me a happy birthday from his ship where he is deployed. My mom, who gave me a necklace with diamonds (my birth stone) and gold (for my golden birthday). My parents, who took me out to a nice dinner. Carmel and Sheree, who helped me come up with all the items on my list.
One final request? If you're reading this, help me by commenting on the post and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll have (at least) 28 comments!